Baking soda is one of the fundamental ingredients in most baking recipes. It is what allows our cakes, pastries, or cupcakes to grow and take that characteristic shape that we like so much. But does baking soda expire? and how long does baking soda last? This is something significant to keep in mind, and today we are here to tell you everything you need to know about it.
How long does it last?
One of the advantages of this ingredient is that it is very durable. However, its useful life may vary depending on several factors:
- Whether the package is open or closed.
- Your storage.
- The temperature at which you keep it.
- The printed expiration date on the package.
Those will be the main factors that you will have to consider to know how long your baking soda has a shelf life. However, generally speaking, it can last up to two years in unopened packaging and six months in open packaging.
Be aware that the baking soda can begin to react on its own in very hot temperatures. Giving way to the development of microorganisms, or it can be an excellent attractant for insects and mosquitoes.
How to tell if baking soda is still good?
Now, do you have a packet in the fridge, and you don’t know if it’s good? Here we leave you some tips so you can identify them.
The first thing you will need is some type of acid like vinegar, as it reacts quickly to these types of ingredients. It is a chemical reaction that will let us know if the baking soda is still active and work for your recipes.
- Pour a tablespoon of baking soda into a small glass cup.
- Add two tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice and mix.
- If you see the mixture begin to bubble profusely, you know is still good to use.
- If it doesn’t start to fizz, that’s a sure sign that the ingredient has gone bad.
How to store baking soda?
If you have a lot of bicarbonate of soda at home and you don’t want it to go bad before its time, one of the most efficient ways to extend its shelf life is to store it properly.
- Suitable temperature: Keep it at room temperature, away from moisture and excessive heat or cold. Both of these factors reduce the effectiveness of it rapidly over time.
- Airtight containers: Once you open the package in which you bought it, immediately transfer it to a glass or rigid paste container with an airtight lid. This will prevent foreign microorganisms from entering that can spoil it.
So when you wonder how long does baking soda last? You will already have your answer, yes it expires, but you can do everything possible so that it lasts at least two years in good condition.