Baking soda is one of the fundamental ingredients in baking and cooking, and it also works for certain cleaning tricks and beneficial home remedies for health. Now, if you have wondered how long is baking soda good for, here we bring you all the answers you need.
We know that it is a star ingredient, but it is also necessary to store it properly to enjoy its benefits as much as possible. Remember that it is a powder that reacts quickly to acids and therefore deserves proper treatment to last as long as possible.
Does baking soda expire?
Even though baking soda can last for a long time, it is still an organic component that sooner or later goes bad. However, it is an ingredient in good condition and stored correctly.
Therefore, the shelf life of baking soda can range from six months to two years. Everything will depend on the brand you buy in the supermarket and the expiration time established on the packaging.
Once this has passed, the bicarbonate can be used for five months. Its effectiveness in prescriptions is not guaranteed, but it continues to be safe for health. It’s better to keep it for cleaning tips and not in the kitchen because we won’t get the results.
What happens if I use expired soda?
Most foods begin to be unhealthy when they expire. This is not the case with baking soda because although it reduces its effectiveness in pastry recipes or gourmet cooking, it does not produce adverse effects on health.
However, some people take bicarbonate to calm stomach pains; if you do this after it has expired, it will most likely not have the expected result. In any case, we recommend that you purchase a new package and store it properly.
How do you know if is still good?
Now that you know how long is baking soda good, you might want to check if the one you have at home is still good. Well, we will bring you a quick and easy way to do it. Please note that this is an alkaline ingredient that reacts quickly to acids.
- Pour a tablespoon of baking soda into a small glass bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of any acid, such as vinegar, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or any similar product you have at home.
- Mix it and let it sit for five minutes.
- If you see the mixture begin to fizz and bubble profusely, it’s because is still working.
- If, after five minutes, it continues without fizzing, it is because it has lost its potency and has already expired. You can decide whether to use it or discard it, but keep in mind that your recipes will not grow the same.