We all know Oreo cookies are famous and have had a long history, but are they safe for all types of public? Are Oreos dairy-free? They may be accidentally gluten-free, but is there dairy in Oreos? Find out if they are healthy for the public allergic to lactose.
What is lactose intolerance, and what adverse effects does it have?
Lactose, known as milk sugar, is present in most of today’s dairy products. That is why it is common to find thousands of foods, products, or sweets that contain them.
A healthy metabolism has the ability to produce the enzyme lactase within the intestine to digest lactose. When the intestine cannot produce this enzyme, it is when lactose intolerance begins.
However, the fact of being lactose intolerant does not mean that you will not consume it again for the rest of your life. Because many have a controlled intake in their daily diet, they know how to counteract the symptoms. So if you’re thinking of integrating Oreos into your day-to-day, there’s a good chance you can.
Effects of lactose intolerance
The fact that a lactose intolerant person stops consuming lactose entirely it’s to avoid its symptoms because they can be very unpleasant. The most common are:
- Flatulence or gas.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Abdominal distension.
These symptoms can be aggravated depending on how much lactose a person consumes. So if you’ve ever wondered, do Oreos have dairy? It’s essential to know how much you can eat and still take care of your health.
How much lactose can a lactose intolerant person consume?
A person with lactose intolerance can agree with their doctor on the minimum amount of lactose they can consume before symptoms start. Although the best idea is to avoid these products altogether, sometimes it can be challenging to change your diet drastically.
In addition, most of the foods and products that we consume daily have a minimum of lactose. So it is never wholly accurate that they can avoid their consumption, so it is better to reach an agreement with your doctor.
Are Oreos dairy-free?
If you are allergic to lactose or want to reduce its consumption for your health, you may be wondering, do Oreos contain dairy? Because it is a delicious cookie to which you surely do not want to say goodbye.
You’ll be glad to know that the original version of the Oreo cookie is lactose-free. Being chocolate and having a white filling, we can assume that it does contain it, but when looking carefully at the ingredients, we realize that it does not.
However, Oreos do not have the lactose-free seal of approval because they may contain trace amounts of milk. This is caused by the remains of milk that may be held in the machinery where they are prepared.
So do Oreos contain dairy? The company cannot guarantee that they are 100% dairy-free due to their contact with the machinery, but none of their ingredients have lactose. But if we get carried away by the components that make it up, we can say that Oreos are indeed dairy-free.
Oreos cookies ingredients
Cocoa cookies [wheat flour, sugar, palm fat, fat-reduced cocoa (4.5%), water, glucose syrup, salt, raising agent (sodium carbonates), flavoring], reconstituted skimmed milk powder, sugar, pieces cocoa biscuit [wheat flour, sugar, rapeseed oil, fat-reduced cocoa (0.4%), glucose-fructose syrup, wheat starch, palm fat, raising agents (potassium carbonates, ammonium carbonates, sodium), salt, emulsifier (soya lecithin), flavoring], coconut fat, cream (2.5%), glucose syrup, whey powder, skimmed milk powder, emulsifier (mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids ), stabilizers (locust bean gum, guar gum), aroma.
Are Oreos safe for people allergic to lactose?
As we have already established, Oreos do not have dairy products in their ingredients, but there is a slight possibility that they contain traces of milk. Therefore, its consumption does not harm the health of an intolerant person, as long as the quantity is controlled.
We recommend that before resuming the consumption of Oreos, you go to your doctor and make sure of the daily amount you can eat. So you can enjoy the taste of these cookies, and you will not have to worry about the symptoms.
Types of lactose and dairy-free Oreos
Keep in mind that not all Oreo cookie presentations are lactose-free. That is why we will leave you a list of those that are to choose without any risk.
- Original Oreo: In its most classic presentation with chocolate cookie and vanilla filling.
- Double Cream Oreo: This is an oreo with more filling and flavor.
- New gluten-free Oreos: Besides being dairy-free, you won’t have to worry about gluten. You’ll enjoy ingredients like rice flour and oatmeal.
- Oreo with chocolate cream: Yes, it does not have lactose despite being double chocolate. The ideal option for cocoa lovers.
- Oreo with dark chocolate: For lovers of more robust flavors, with a more intense cocoa flavor.
- Carrot Cake Oreos: This is a trendy version among people allergic to lactose or vegans.
- Lemon Oreos: These cookies give you a refreshing and delicious flavor.
- Golden: In this version, the filling is an intense golden color, contrasting with the flavor of the chocolate cookie.
- Peanut butter: In this version, the Oreos offer you a smooth flavor of nuts, combining peanut butter with chocolate.
- Oreo Thins Mint: Oreos with a refreshing mint flavor and a crunchy honey-sweetened chocolate chip cookie.
- Oreo coconut caramel: This is one of the sweetest versions; you will see how coconut and chocolate become the best option.
- Chocolate Marshmallow Oreo: These marshmallows are lactose-free and vegan friendly. They are soft and fluffy cookies with a delicious chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate hazelnut Oreo: Continuing with the nuts, Oreo gives you a Nutella-flavored filling that we can all enjoy without problems.
Now you know what to answer when you have the question, are Oreos dairy-free? Be careful with its consumption so that you can enjoy its flavor for much longer. Avoid buying versions of Oreos covered in chocolate or some other type of ingredient because all the fudge versions do contain a high percentage of lactose that you should avoid.