Have you ever wondered how to store zucchini with easy tips and methods? It is one of the favorite vegetables when the summer season arrives because delicious recipes are prepared with it. Zucchini will be the perfect ingredient if you want to innovate in the kitchen, start eating healthier and improve your palate.
Zucchini will need to be kept cool and well-stored when not in use. Good storage will ensure the duration of flavor, texture, and smoothness. So you can create the best recipes for your family. Today we show you how to store zucchini in the fridge, and after cutting so, you don’t lose your favorite vegetables.
The refrigerator will be your best tool when storing your zucchini
This is one of the best ways to store zucchini at home, especially since the cold is the best friend of vegetables. However, storing it in the proper containers will be crucial to prevent it from changing its flavor and texture. So take note of the following steps:
- Store zucchini whole, dry, and unwashed: The easiest way to damage a vegetable is to cut it, so don’t do that. Make sure your zucchini isn’t broken or bruised where it could start to rot. In addition, it is recommended not to wash it since it will have an excess of water that will make it rot faster.
- Dry the zucchini: With a kitchen napkin, gently rub the skin of the zucchini to dry it since this is a very moist vegetable inside. This will prevent it from condensing and remove any remaining water or moisture it may have.
- Store in a plastic bag: The less air there is, the longer your zucchini will last. So put it inside a plastic bag with little ventilation; you should use a bag with several small holes.
- Store it in the driest place in the fridge: Refrigerators tend to be colder in one place than another. Store it in the drawers furthest from the coldest place to avoid condensation and excess moisture.
- Do not forget them in the refrigerator: Once you do this, you will have a maximum time of seven days to use them. The oxidation process will begin from that moment on, and soon they will be damaged or with a more altered appearance.
Ways to store and protect zucchini after cutting
When the zucchini is cut, it begins a rapid decomposition process, even in the fridge. However, if you find the right way to store it, you can keep it for several days without damage after cutting. Just follow these steps to learn how to store zucchini after cutting:
- Chop the zucchini: Cut the zucchini into the pieces you want. Ideally, they should be pieces of 2.5 cm approx. Remember that the smaller the pieces, the faster they will freeze. So that they can be appropriately stored, ideally, use a sharp knife to prevent the skin from breaking or bruising.
- Blanch the zucchini: The blanching process keeps the enzymes that cause the zucchini to go wrong from deactivating. To do this, boil a cup of water and add the zucchini for one minute.
- Place them in ice water: Immediately after the minute is up, transfer the zucchinis to a cup of ice water. This sudden change in temperature will make the skin and interior of the zucchini remain firm and hard.
- Dry the zucchinis: Once they are cool, place the pieces on a baking sheet. With the help of a napkin, clean them and dry all the excess water. Once ready, take the tray to the freezer until each piece is completely solidified.
Store the frozen pieces: When all the pieces are frozen after hours or overnight, store them in glass containers or in plastic bags of the appropriate size. Take them back to the refrigerator and they will be ready.